So I don’t have to confront any human being face to face (I’m an avoider, you see), I’m going to put a short list of unattractive traits right here for all to see. Convenient, don’t you think?
1. Pride. I have it too, don’t worry, but folks who think that bragging about themselves or their accomplishments every time we talk will make us better friends… it doesn’t. Perhaps it’s envy on my part, but mostly it’s that I consider humbleness much more attractive.
2. Self-promotion. Gotta say to all you online friends of mine with sites, this is one of my pet peeves concerning you. I love to go check out new designs and new sites, but I don’t appreciate those of you who only talk to me or leave me a message when you have a new site layout (and you just happen to mention it while talking to me). I’m not dense. If you want to advertise go here. I put a warning on my site about advertising in my guestbook and I stick to it. thanksomuch.
3. This might not belong on this list, but I am quite curious as to why I am suddenly the most popular destination for guy/girl advice. I don’t mind this really, because i love my friends and want to see them blissfully happy… but it does get frustrating because I am very single. I hope you all can realize what gushing about some girl or guy can do to a very single young woman. Just be aware, thank you. (This doubles as a disclaimer)
4. Whining. This is one of my worst traits, so I’m also trying to ask others to hold off doing it (or else I just join right in). If life is really that bad, I can give you a hug. I can pray with you. I can hook you up with someone who gives much better advice, even. But when I or anyone else whines and complains and keeps a negative attitude about things that could either be changed or ignored, it drags others’ moods down like an anchor to the sea floor. I suppose you could call this entire post complaining, but I like to call it Reader Education.
5. Small talk. OK fine, so everyone does this and I’m one of the worst. Yes, I realize this. But still… try to give the friendship some depth. Just try. You might be surprised what will happen when you show depth and care and thoughtfulness. Gee that sounds harsh. Well, this applies to me too.
See? no big deal. Enjoy your day :o)